Wednesday, July 16, 2008

professionalism

Transcribing can be a tedious task for me.

On one hand, I enjoy it for what I get out of it, because when I'm transcribing sermons by preachers like P. Kong, P. Tan, R.C. Sproul and Derek Prince, revelations hit me left, right, center.
On the other hand, I have to concentrate two of my senses on the same thing, which is boring. 
I can't listen to music while I'm transcribing because I have to listen to the recording.

Hence, I've discovered that when I'm transcribing, my mind is likely to have this sub-channel running in the background.
As and when I do not need 100% concentration, I have random thoughts flitting in and out.

Today's topic on Channel Shachew was: Professionalism. 
I was thinking about what does it take for a person to have professionalism in his/her career.
It's one of my personal goals ... 
To be professional in what I do, and not let personal difficulties become an excuse for shoddy work. 

But professionalism can be a very subjective thing too...
So, out of curiosity, I did a google search and came across this. 

Professionals are expected to . . . 
- Establish a special relationship with clients or patrons. 
- Have a lack of self-interest. 
- Be involved in all aspects of the profession. 
- Publicize what the profession "does" and "is." 

Interesting .... I found the lack of self-interest bit.

The ideal job is when you are doing something that you love, but then it may also mean foregoing what you want and expect from it sometimes. 

What an irony of life. :)

As much as you may be tempted to think so, your career and calling is not a platform to fulfill your own desires.

There is a difference between God giving it to you, and you making it happen for yourself. 

But I always hold to this promise: 

Proverbs 22:29

"Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before unknown men."

No comments: